RIP Google Stadia
The writing was on the wall…
Here are some key points:
- Stadia launched in late 2019, allowing users to play modern games with minimal hardware via “the cloud”. Such technique is relatively similar to video streaming services such as Netflix.
- The service has suffered from latency and connectivity issues.
- Few games were available relative to other platforms.
- Google shut down the “Stadia studios” (the in-house Stadia game development unit) in February 2021. This generated a fair amount of rumors on the future of the platform.
- Users will continue to have access to their games library and play through mid January 2023.
This story was first published on The PhilaVerse (my Substack newsletter).