Alexa Together: A game changer for senior care?
Amazon is launching a new subscription service in the US for seniors and their caregivers
Amazon announced on December 7 a new subscription service for US-based seniors and their caregivers: Alexa Together (no information on international launches thus far).
In a nutshell, here is what the voice-assisted service can do:
- The senior customer gets “24/7 hands-free access to an Urgent Response professional emergency helpline”.
- Fall detection response via third party devices.
- Activity feed and custom alerts can “help reassure caregivers that their loved one is up and going about their day”.
- A “Remote Assist” feature that the senior customer can enable if desired.
- The service starts at $19.99 a month (or $199 a year), though Amazon is offering a free, six-month trial.
Given the proliferation of Alexa-powered devices (40+ million Alexa users in the US alone according to reports), this may be a sound strategy for Amazon (who hasn’t been shy about its healthcare ambitions).
This story was first published on The PhilaVerse (my Substack newsletter).